Tuesday 15 May 2012

AGFC Manager's England squad for Euro 2012

With the new England manager, Roy Hodgson, naming his provisional 23 man squad to go to the European Championships tomorrow, I thought I would offer my suggestions for how I would complete that list.

Goalkeepers

Unlike 2 years ago when Capello could have chosen any 3 of the goalkeepers he took to the World Cup in South Africa, and didn’t seem to full confidence in any of them either, Joe Hart is now the undoubted number 1. In fact, I would argue that he could demonstrate that he is right up there among the best goalkeepers in the world during the tournament.

For his deputies, there are no clear candidates that I would with confidence play if Hart got injured. With both Robinson (who I would want to take) and Foster declaring themselves retired and unavailable for international football, Scott Carson would go as my number 2. Although looking nervous in his previous appearances for England, his experience of playing outside of English football I think is an added bonus both for his game and perhaps for the squad as a whole. Robert Green is probably the most logical choice for 3rd spot, however, as the chances of him being required are so small, therefore, I would want to take a young keeper who could benefit from being around the England team during a major competition, and who could potentially go on to be Hart’s deputy for the next few years. Because of this I would select Frank Fielding, with John Ruddy, who was had a decent first Premier League season being back-up in case there is an injury before the tournament.

Defenders

I am glad that I don’t have make the call about John Terry and Rio Ferdinand. It’s an absolute joke that with less than a month before the second biggest tournament in international football, an issue like this surrounds the team. Partly down to this, form, fitness and wanting to establish a good team ethos in the squad, in my picks I am choosing neither.

Centre back is extremely difficult, with no outstanding contenders, but for consistently good performances I am going with Phil Jagielka and Joleon Lescott. I am also going to go with Gary Cahill, someone who has always played well for England, and 6 months at Chelsea will only have helped him improve his game. Phil Jones also makes it for me, and has the added bonus that he could be used at RB or as defensive midfield player if required.

At RB I have the easier decision of not selecting Glen Johnson, and instead going with Kyle Walker and Micah Richards, again someone who could cover at CB if necessary. And LB Ashley Cole simply has to go, and I would take Leighton Baines, with Kieran Gibbs just missing out.

Midfield

There are far more difficult decisions that have to be made here, with so many potential possibilities. Scott Parker would have to go for me, and despite his lack of pace and looking poor at the last World Cup, Gareth Barry has really impressed recently in the Manchester City team so would be in my team. Michael Carrick has been often overlooked for England, but I feel has actually had a good season and ideally I would want to take him as well, but think this would be one defensive midfielder too many, so he would be on my reserve list in case of any injuries before the end of May cut-off. Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard therefore would both be included in my 23, although neither necessarily in my starting XI.

Out wide, Theo Walcott, Ashley Young, James Milner are all easy decisions. The final spot is not as obvious. Originally I had thought to take Adam Johnson. He just missed out 2 years ago, but he can beat a player, and offers something different, most important he his left footed. However he has not played or performed enough for Manchester City enough to fully justify a position and so I would select the forgotten man of English football, Joe Cole. He has had a relatively impressive season at Lille, still offers a great deal to England both out wide and behind the front man in the n.10 position, and has the experience of performing on the biggest stage for England before.

Strikers

Despite missing the first 2 games, Wayne Rooney simply has to go, the one man who could potentially drag England past the usual quarter-final exit. Although his Liverpool carer has not been overly impressive I would take Andy Carroll as I think he could thrive in the England team and has started to hit some form. I’d take Danny Welbeck as he has shown he can bring the best out of Rooney and has a good conversion rate for Manchester United this season. Not the finished article by far, but it will benefit his own game and England for this experience and opportunity to shine. For the other striker position Id go with Jermain Defoe. A natural finisher, and has proven this season, can be effect off the bench. He also has the experience of scoring in tournament football for England before. That means that I would leave out Peter Crouch, Daniel Sturridge and Bobby Zamora. All have good arguments for selection but have not done enough this season for me to justify selection. Grant Holt as the second highest English scorer in the PL this season does deserve a mention, but I don't think this would be the right move looking to the future for England, however, I do think if he went to Poland & Ukraine, he would do better than a lot of people imagine. I would have both Crouch and Sturridge on stand-by in case of any injuries.

So my 23:

1. Hart, 12. Carson, 13. Fielding
2. Walker, 22. Richards, 5. Jagielka, 6. Cahill, 16. Lescott, 17. Jones, 3. A. Cole, 15. Baines
4. Parker, 14. Barry, 8. Lampard 18. Gerrard 8. 19. Milner, 7. Walcott, 11. Young, 23. J. Cole
10. Rooney, 9. Carroll, 20. Defoe, 21. Welbeck

Reserve: Ruddy, G. Johnson, Gibbs, A. Johnson, Sturridge, Crouch

2 comments:

  1. Parker looks a doubt through injury at the moment, can't believe Joe Cole's slipped in!
    I think your squad included too many of the 'old guard'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Parker doesnt make it then put Carrick in. Tried to get good balance of experience and youth. For Gerrard and Lampard, should be last outing in England shirt this summer.

    ReplyDelete